Wednesday 26 November 2008

Now that was really cold

I am convinced they removed the ice from the surface of the pool before I arrived. As I plunged in, it was so cold I wanted to vomit. 7 degrees is what they said it was, I think it was nearer 8 in reality!

On Monday I was the first person to swim in the newly opened Clifton Lido in Bristol. It has been shut for nearly 20 years and gone through lots of political wrangling to be re-opened as a lido and not a car park. The Victorian baths are now solar heated and the water temperature will be up to 29 degrees in 10 days or so, then Bristol can enjoy the carbon neutral waters from one of the oldest lidos in Britain.

The crowds were warm and cosy behind the newly installed glass sliding windows, just myself and the BBC reporter, Ben Prater were in our trunks waiting for the camera crew to give us the go ahead to dive in.

At the end of a single length we were welcomed with robes and towels, then whisked off to the sauna to warm up. The event was covered by the local press and I have very kindly been given membership of the new lido which adds a new venue to my training regime.

My thanks to Arne (well done on getting the project delivered, the end result is amazing) the owner and Mark the manager for their hospitality - I look forward to training under the stars when the water is a bit warmer.

Local press coverage is available on the BBC website, Bristol Evening Post and West Business.

The Bristol (Clifton) Lido website is here.

3 comments:

M said...

nice blog jb

Anonymous said...

Well done mate...

Anonymous said...

Well done mate...