Monday 24 November 2008

I am not alone

I find it very difficult sometimes to tell people what I do for a living, as if in some way my profession defines who I am as a person. If for example I was at a party and a stranger asked me what I did for a job and I replied a Doctor, then he would probably think I was responsible, intelligent, and maybe respectable and vice versa if I had answered a solicitor or accountant! When you tell people you are trying to pull together an expedition to swim across the Atlantic, they instantly think you are a dreamer/madman/bulls****r and wonder where my nurse is to take me back to the 'home'.

So you can imagine my relief when this weekend I found myself surrounded by people who are doing things that make my expedition/challenge seem positively normal, in some cases mundane. I was at the Royal Geographical Society (RGS) annual Explore conference in London, with hundreds of dreaming explorers and adventurers who are absolutely filled to the brink with a can do attitude, I don't think there is anywhere else on earth where you can fill a room with 250 people who will always find a way, will never take no for answers, who's glass is always half full, and every mountain is just something to go over on their way to their goal.

I was very glad to meet Alastair Humphreys (he spent 4 years cycling around the world on a bare bones budget) and Paul Rose (the guy who is presenting the BBC Oceans programme) he gave me a great tip on shark avoidance whilst swimming and Jo Royle (one of the few yachties to ever circumnavigate the Southern Ocean).

I left having made great contacts, felt that I wasn't alone in the world and invigorated to continue my search for a sponsor and to keep swimming, even with a broken foot!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jon, of course you are not alone. Anyone who considers you as a close friend (regardless of the physical distance in between) will understand that you are who you are and that is that. We love you the way you are regardless of what you do can be explained by logic or not - who cares? You are an intelligent resilient man taking paths many have dreamed about and you are actually persuing them!!! Of course you are not alone - you are always present - I am personally very glad and happy that you are part of my life, so don't you dare think you are NEVER alone because it is not true. Un abrazo, Rod