Thursday 6 November 2008

Its a roller coaster

I hate injury, it is saddening, depressing and can eat away at your confidence. Most of all I hate the way it makes me feel that I am loosing time, that each day spent waiting for my injury to heal is a day less of fitness for my final goal. I am not one to sit around and twiddle my thumbs and have probably not contributed to the healing process by being too eager to get back out there.

Everyone is telling me to enjoy the month of rest and taking things easily and dropping the intensity, and I am starting to listen and finding more time to concentrate on the things that tend to get dropped when you are training 17 hours a week.


Anyway two orthopaedic consultants next week, lots of acupuncture, massage, physio, cold and heat packs and ibuprofen and the knee, ankle and back might start to ease. Towing heavy sledges and cycling long distances with a heavy trailer is not mightily good for the body.


So this is the down and then I think about the difficulty with finding a sponsor at the moment and I go further down, but if you are like me, you believe that only by taking risks can you really feel life, you know there will be an up....soon, after all it is a roller coaster!


The photo is of my tent on Antarctica, I was stuck in it for 3 days while Katabatic winds had to blow themselves out, chunks of ice and rock the size of golf balls become airborne in 80kph winds. As each wave of wind would blow, the inside of the tent would collapse and then re-inflate, incredible that these Hillerberg tents can withstand these conditions. Just as the terror of loosing a tent in those temperatures was a real prospect and so the storm would pass and suddenly all would be calm again.

No comments: