Tuesday 14 October 2008

Polar medals for the Irish Team

Last week, I found myself in Ireland in the front row of the amazing one man show - Tom Crean Antarctic Explorer, sat next to Tom Crean's eldest daughter, Mary Crean O'Brien.

Aidan Dooley brought to life in a magnificent 2 hour monologue, the life of the Irish Polar hero Tom Crean who served on both Scott's and Shackleton's expeditions to the icy South.

This is a must see for anyone slightly interested in the heroic age of polar exploration or indeed anything to do with the Antarctic, I can see why the show is so highly rated.

It also brought back vivid memories of my trip to the South Pole, I cannot believe I was there on the 8th January this year...this year...! I think I have been so busy I hardly give the details of the expedition a second thought these days, I have certainly forgot about the pain of walking 1150km! Aidan reminded me what we went through to achieve success in the face of such adversity.

At the end of the play the Tom Crean society had arranged for a memorial medal ceremony for the 4 of us (myself, Pat, Clare and Shaun) - my Polar medal was awarded to me by Tom Crean's daughter, now 90 years old and still as strong, vivid and articulate as her blood stock would presume - I am honoured, and proud of my Irish heritage.


Watch a clip of the play here

Read a review of the play here

No comments: