Tuesday 29 April 2008

Schools tour

I have finally finished a European tour of some 15 schools. Talking primarily about the expedition to the South Pole, using the talk as a vehicle to inspire children to live healthier and more active lifestyles.

The more I see and read in the press I am convinced we have a real child obesity problem and have decided to use my adventures and expeditions to attempt to educate children as to the benefits of a healthy lifestyle.....it will be difficult as Grand Theft Auto is on new release and there are new flavours of crisps on the shelves at the moment as well as Cadbury's latest concoction, the odds are against me.

But there is some hope, I had an email from one of the schools I spoke to and have heard they have signed up to a schools Cup Scout scheme based on my talk (a child asked how I started to be an adventurer and I told him the Cubs was the best place to learn all the basic skills for South Pole exploration!)

Thanks to all the Schools in the UK, Denmark and Ireland - you were very accommodating and I look forward to you all becoming members of the SwimWithJon program next year.

I was very flattered by the reception I got from St. Peters School in Bray, Co. Dublin - what a fantastic display on Shackleton and Crean - both incredible Irish Polar Heroes.

No comments: