Saturday 9 June 2007

Life on the road

Nearly 20 days into this journey now and life on the road has developed its own routine, there I was trying to escape one and have gone and developed a new one for myself. I awake at the same time, eat at the same time (my body demands it) and sleep at the same time. I am in the saddle for between 5 and 7 hours a day and on the road for between 7 and 9 depending on how long I stop for.

The first hour is always about pain, everyday a new ache attacks me, just as one muscle acclimatises another causes me grief. I have developed a system for dealing with this hour and it involves concentrating on the pain itself, not in a weird way - but really focusing on it, feeling it, studying it, trying to work out anatomically why it exists - I find that after 10 minutes or so some of the pain goes, as if it was only really there to test me, but mostly it is always there for the first hour. I also know that like clockwork - the pain will subside after the hour is up.

The second and third hours are strong ones, my legs are warm, blood is pumping and the knots and strains of the previous days and initial hours exertion is over, and now I feel strong and my speed increases. I can attack hills in this this phase without denting my reserves for later in the day. I usually enjoy the scenery during this time and stop to chat to locals and explore villages even for just a few minutes.

In the next phase of the day, the wheels have been turning for at least 3 hours and I have covered 30 miles or so. The motion of the bike, the noise of the wheels on tarmac, the chain through the cogs and the cadence of my legs and cranks puts me into a trance like state. It is difficult to describe - I zone out, time seems to stand still, like one of those movies where everyone else is frozen in time and I am the only one who can wander about freely. I have finally forgotten the past and no longer contemplating my future, only living in the actual second that is - I am enjoying that rare thing - the present. I am only thinking and feeling about what is happening to me right at that moment, body feels connected to mind and my surroundings. I have no concern for the dripping tap, expired MOT, the presentation for Monday morning.

This time is liberating, addictive and what gets me onto my bike nearly everyday. I long for this time and can only reach it once I have spent several hours in the saddle - a sort of right of passage if you like. When I have a rest day, my mind craves this "free time" but my body tells me I need a day off, so its alright.

In my final hour of the day I usually think about food, well sometimes I hallucinate about food, in fact, here I have been dreaming of stewed Puffin, wind dried mutton and potatoes as I usually only snack through the day as it is hard to cycle on a full stomach.

For those wondering if I am using my time to contemplate my future, I am but I don't want to force it - I'm sure the answer will present itself in one of the phases of my routine day.

Whilst I enjoy my own company immensely, I do miss sharing these incredible experiences with friends and family, the view from Mykines lighthouse back to Vagar was very special. I find myself thinking of you all individually when I see something I know you would personally appreciate.

Current photos are all here.

No comments: