Monday 11 June 2007

Day # - can't remember anymore, but alas to Iceland

A fitting end to my tour of the Faroes, yesterday afternoon I climbed with Pauli and his cousin Oliver the mountain of Skælingur at 767m. It was a another cloudless sky (I'm beginning to think all this talk of bad weather in the Faroes is a myth to keep the tourists away!)

A fantastic climb rewarded with stunning views and I think we counted at least 13 of the 18 Faroe Islands. I have uploaded a few photos here at the end of the set of shots on the Faroes.

The night before I got to experience modern Faroe culture at first hand. We went out clubbing with Pauli, an interesting experience as nothing really happens until 1am and then ends at 5am or so. There was no real 'disco' music at the club but live band playing good rock covers and originals, it seem every Faroese can sing and owns at least 1 guitar, as they all seem very musical. However dancing is a different matter altogether, if you stand on the edge of the dance floor minding your own business, a girl will come up and ask you to dance, you don't then get down and strut your funky stuff - you have to be able to waltz or whatever you call that dancing when you hold one hand and have one arm behind your partners back. You are then whisked around the floor in true ballroom dancing style to U2, Coldplay or whatever else is being played. I was caught out once, but not twice - I stayed well away from the floor after I trod on one too many toes. Everyone can dance in this style expertly, even after copious amounts of the local grog. I am told that everyone knows how, a tradition passed down from generation to generation...amazing!

So I have an hour before I board the Norrona again, for the last sea leg of this journey. I am bound for Seydisfjordur on the east coast of Iceland, I should be there at 9:00am tomorrow morning.

And so it is goodbye to the Faroes, I cannot believe what an amazing time I have had here, I am quite sad to be leaving. My thanks go to my wonderful host, who has looked after me so well and given me an insight to life on these islands that I believe most tourists fail to ever see - thanks Pauli.

No comments: