Saturday 2 June 2007

Day 9 - The best day by far

Montrose to Aberdeen, 45 miles - 4.5 hours in the saddle, 6 hours journey time

We woke up to bright sunshine, the first clear day since I started. Amazing how everything looks different when the sun shines. After a lazy breakfast and considerable gear faff from Mike, we got on the road and for the first time in ages I enjoyed the scenery. We dropped down into a wonderful seaside village of Johnshaven and cycled along the off road cycle track for a few miles(taking it carefully so as not to break any wheels or trailers), the North Sea was calm and the smell of the sea was strong.

It was wonderful to be cycling with strong legs and to be able to enjoy the ride without the constant threat of rain.

In Stoneshaven we stopped for lunch (didn't find any salad, fruit or vegetables) Mike said we had passed the sign on the way in that said Stoneshaven was the Home of the deepfried Mars bar - so no surprise we didn't find too much healthy food.

The sea mist rolled in after lunch and we had to leave the main road as the visibility was starting to get dangerous. We headed inland and found a back road into Aberdeen along the Dee valley. The final climb of the day rewarded us with a great view of Aberdeen - a much larger city than I had thought. Within 3 miles we were in the center of town, having cycled down the very impressive granite mile of Union Street.

I left Mike at the train station for his 1.5 hour train back to where we had started 2 days earlier and said goodbye - it was great to have him along for the journey.

I have just checked into the Carmelite Hotel in central Aberdeen - I have afforded myself some luxury as a reward for the last 450 miles and the end of the first stage of this tour. This is an incredible hotel with the most helpful and friendly staff which will warrant a review of its own later.

After unpacking I found I have lost my fleece since Edinburgh - A very key piece of clothing for the next month, so will need to go shopping tomorrow - in the meantime I need to rest my knee which is really starting to trouble me (and now is some cause for concern) and I need fresh fish, in fact craving it - shouldn't be hard to find in Aberdeen.

No comments: