Tuesday 13 May 2008

School kids are intimidating!

A fabulous school in Rustington (West Sussex) very near to where I live, provided me with great support on my last expedition. On my return I promised I would come in and talk to them about life in the cold in return for their support.

They were tremendously knowledgeable about life in the Antarctic and knew all about Shackleton and his expeditions. So much so during the term they recreated the infamous Endurance Expedition with tents set up in the classroom, applied in writing to join Shackletons expedition and each child took on a specific role to ensure their trip was successful. They all kept diaries and journals just like Crean and Worsley and I was very pleased to get to see some of them at the end of my talk.

There is something uniquely satisfying about being able to inspire kids, they were all fascinated about how I became an adventurer, the easy answer is Cubs, Scouts, The Duke of Edinburgh's Awards scheme - once you head down the road that leads you to appreciate the outdoors, then it is pretty hard to leave it. I was taught at a young age to appreciate the hills and mountains of the UK and Canada, and I will always be grateful to those that spent time teaching me about how to appreciate the outdoors. If it wasn't for this inspiration then I might well have taken a different path in life.

Kids pick up on everything you say (when you are not their parents!) so standing in front of 40 10 to 12 years olds, you have to be careful what you say - no matter how often I do it, it is quite intimidating.

Thanks to Iain Buchanan from Summerlea for looking after me.

(Photo: Milly one of the students wearing my Expedition Jacket)

No comments: