Wednesday 23 January 2008

Áras an Uachtaráin

The bed at Jury's in Cork was as comfortable as ever a bed was. This was a momentous event and probably above all else the thing I was looking forward to the most -clean sheets and a pillow – it didn't disappoint.

An early morning and 'Full Irish' fuelled us for the flight back upto Dublin, I found myself looking at my drab 'Polar' wardrobe wondering what I was going to wear for tea with Mary MacAleese, the President of Ireland.

RTE television provided taxis, flights and hotels for the trip up to Dublin (we were going to be on the The Late Late show in the evening), not only for the 4 weary travellers but also for our 10 or so entourage – my parents included.

More taxis and hotel check-ins, I had time for a sandwich and then we were off to meet the President at the Áras an Uachtaráin....like you do!

As I signed my name in the visitors book, I looked everywhere for my camera to commemorate the moment, I was sure I had it at the hotel but now it was gone – and I had all the group photos of the team at the Pole – I was meant to be the custodian of our slice of Irish Polar heritage and I lost it.

Fortunately there were teams of press at the official 'welcome home' from the President to record the moment. Mary MacAleese, was wonderfully charming – if I was nervous beforehand, I wasn't when she was speaking to me, she was extremely well briefed and a keen outdoors woman herself, very interested in our expedition.

I was honoured that she would welcome us home and she told us that the whole country took a great sense of pride in our achievement.

[Shaun: sorry you are not in the photo, I don't have one with you in it!]

No comments: