Thursday 2 August 2007

and so to Greenland....!

If anyone asks why I am skiing across an icecap for 30 days - I tell them because I couldn't bike across. This is what I have to keep reminding myself when spirits are low and I can't deal with the never ending whiteness and the potential cold.

This mental joke will help me across - in the "what else could I be doing right now" my alternative is NOT sat at home watching Hollyoaks, it is being on my bike and I know I will not want to be on my bike across the ice!

Anyway this is the last blog entry for maybe a month as I have not invested the £1500 in satellite mobile technology to be able to send updates from the ice - so I am now going, what is referred to in the industry as "Dark".

Also you can imagine how boring my updates would be; "Days 5 through 20: ice and snow underfoot, flat for 300 miles, wind was cold and some frost on my moustache. Did you know the Inuit have 310 words for snow. For example, type 12: The yellow snow that the dogs make, or type 23: The type of snow your neighbour brings in on his boots onto you newly swept igloo floor. Did you know the Inuit also have 321 words for boredom!

Anyway - take care, see you all soon(ish)!

No comments: