Monday 2 July 2007

Well I made it......

1200 miles in 30 days - Bakewell to Reykjavik, this part of the tour is now over and I feel a bit flat for having arrived in such a big city (compared to what I have been used to this last 30 days!)

The last 20kms into Reykjavik were fantastic, I managed to find quiet cycle tracks through countless fields of lupins, these wild flowers smell amazingly fragrent and the perfume has been with me the whole trip - in fact one of my strongest memories of Iceland will be the smell of the purple Lupins.

I have made the crossing much quicker than I had anticipated, a combination of better weather, 10kms to 20kms a day more than I planned and I only took 1 rest day in the last 13. So what to do now? I will admit to letting my mind drift to the next part of my tour - the Greenland Icecap crossing, and I am a bit nervous to say the least. So I checked out the incoming weather and it seemed to spell an end to the great weather of the last 2 weeks. I also managed to arrange an early flight out, back home.

So I spent the day doing the tourist thing in the Capital, but I was distraught at how expensive everything was - I wont go into it here as I'll be blamed for exaggerating (ME! Never!) but I saved money by leaving early!

And all of a sudden I am back on the South Coast of the UK and a few days earlier I had been in the desert - a bit strange really, but I have much to do to prepare for a month on the ice so I wont let it get to me.

I am sure I will have reflections to post when I have settled, but I have much tyre towing along the local beach to get into training for Greenland - so I wont have much time for navel gazing!

No comments: