Sunday 27 May 2007

Day 2 - The Dales are steep!

Bradford to Reeth - 60 miles, 6:00 hours in the saddle, 7.5 hour journey time

Left the Brock household on a full belly of porridge and clean kit (thanks Lara) - I was so excited to be off again I nearly forgot my flag and had to turn round at the end of the road and retrieve it. The first 20 miles passed very quickly as I headed north out of Bradford along the Airdale valley, I am sure it should be called Building Society Valley, as I went through the suburbs of Bradford, Bingley and Skipton. All very lovely Yorkshire market towns with stunning buildings and antique shops.

It wasn't until I was in Grassington that I felt I had entered the Dales (if you didn't know a Dale is a valley), classic drystone walls, limestone escarpments, 'Emerdalesque' villages and too many sheep to mention. Never did there exist a more stupid animal than a sheep, ugly too. How can something so lovely and tasty as a lamb, grow up to be something so horrible, I can't stand them - you have to be really careful at speed on a descent in case they run out in front of you, if this happened the trip would be over, the damage would be huge.

I met my first cyclist, he was training for the JOG (The Lands End to John O'Groats) he allowed me to draft behind him and he chatted for a while and took my mind off the pain in my legs. All of sudden 5 miles had gone by and it was time for lunch, I was at Kettlewell.

I was capitally ripped off for a pot of tea at £1.80 at the Cottage Cafe, and had to endure the ramblings of an elderly Geordie lady, who proceeded to tell me every walk that she had ever completed in Scotland, all I tell you, were on the West Coast and of no use to me whatsoever as I was going up the East Coast. I told her this on several occasions I was going to Iceland via Aberdeen and she still didn't get the point, she would say "That's nice for you love, why don't you visit the isle of Mull!" I started to read the writing on the little packets of sugar out of sheer boredom, and she didn't take the hint.

Half an hour our after lunch the hills started, I had a monstrous climb out of the Wharle Valley over the Langstrothdale Chase, this lasted about an hour and then was rewarded with a 4 mile descent through the Bishops Dale - wonderful.

The last climb of the day was the horrific, Redmire Moor, within 10 minutes I was off and pushing the bike (this is not why they are called Push Bikes, this term is from 1818 when the first bike was only a wooden frame and 2 wheels and the rider sat astride and pushed the bike along with their legs on the ground.) I was quickly overtaken by a lady running up the hill, I didn't like this and got back on and endured the pain of the climb. The hill at its steepest was 16%, I puzzled over this for a while (it is amazing how you can distract your mind from pain!) What did 16% mean? Was 100%, vertical or 90deg, or was it 45deg also how did 16% correlate to 1:4 like the hills in the South of England, namely the infamous Porlock Hill which is 1:4, is that 25%? Answers on a postcard (send to me c/o Post Office in Aberdeen.)

The descent was wonderful, if not hairy, at 17% my brakes were boiling at the bottom, and with 10 minutes I was at my campsite (Orchard Farm in Reeth) and into the hot showers.

A great 2nd day - still no rain....yet

No comments: